Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Show People

I've been to a few shows over the years. Not quite as many as some other people I know, but I think I have seen enough to make a pretty glossary of people you see at a typical show, with pictures and a brief description.


Weed Guy: This is the guy you always see who as soon as he gets in the concert starts to blaze up and doesn't stop until the end of the last encore. His music listening experience is, in his mind only good when he is high. By the end of the show, he is barely standing, and barely awake. He basically wastes a lot of money to get high in public.

Often heard saying things like: whoa! This is amazing! I'm hungry! You gotta try this stuff!


Old Dude: This is the guy who looks like he is about 40 years to old to be at a show. He is trying to act cool, but realistically its just sad. You may see him trying to be cool by getting in the pit, or mixing it up with some younger hooligans, but for the most part we all realize he is far to old to be here.

Often heard saying things like: C'mon, YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Basically anything to not show his age.


Wannabe Punk Kid: This is the guy who won't conform to society's rules. He wears his hair in some odd way, has tattoos all over his body and basically tries to bring attention to himself. Although he craves the attention he also doesn't like it when people treat him differently because of his look, which is odd since that’s the purpose of his look. Generally speaking he is there to rebel against whatever is bugging him. For the most part he serves little or no purpose to anyone.

Often heard saying things like: Lots of expletives, society pushing him down, him being way more into what the music really stands for, and perhaps something about working at the cinnabon.



Band Guy: This is the guy who is in a band himself, but just hasn't hit it big like the group up on stage. Sure he has played maybe a few small clubs/venues in his time, and he is working at his local independent record store until he signs that big deal to make him the star that he knows he is. He may even bring flyers to one of his upcoming "shows" at his friend’s party.

Often heard saying thins like: What do you listen too? Oh we sound like them, yeah I’m in a band, and I’m working through some things till we can get the band going. You should come check us out; I think you'll like us.


The Collector: This is the guy who lets it be know how much better he is than you by telling you how many shows he has been too. This type of person usually travels with a group of followers (there is no leader). They usually have a band shirt from a different show that lets you know that they were there and that you weren't. They are really there for the music which is good, but going to all these different shows/events it really makes you wonder if it loses its purpose.

Often heard saying things like: Oh yeah I saw "insert random band name" at "insert random venue location" it was so much better than when I saw "insert obscure band name" at "insert obscure band location"

4 comments:

Curelover said...

I am so the collector. Sweet I'm a weirdo loser. I like your version of the band guy and weed guy. The old guy will always be around no matter what century it is.

Curelover said...

Wait a minute ... is that collector picture of me cause I have a gray bag with pins on it .... waaaaiiittt aaaa minutttteeeee.

Cup-O-Noodles said...

This is one of my favorite posts I've read in a long time!! You are too funny!

Darth said...

If I am forgetting any other "Show People" let me know. I'm thinking I may have forgotten some