Saturday, November 11, 2006

Episode I: The Phantom Menace.



Lucky for me this is the first one, because if were later on in the night, I'm not gonna lie, I think I would pass out. Not because of Jake Lloyd of course.....

12:01 - Okay the movie hasn't started yet, this sucks. I am watching a trailer for King Kong, which is to be on in the near future I guess. Its not Kinky Kong of course (see other blogsite)

12:02 - Ahhh finally its starting. Do I clap when I see the scroll? umm no, that would be lame

12:06 - The first time someone (obi-wan) says they have a bad feeling about this....this maybe an ongoing theme

12:10 - The first appearance by Natalie. The makeup hides her....I am not a big fan of her in this movie cause of the weird-arse outfits.

12:14 - The first appearance by Jar Jar Binks....and my anger level rises. Seriously, why does he have to talk?


12:28 - Yes! Ric Olie is flying the Queen's starship. Ric Olie is one of my favorite characters because when the Episode 1 toys were released, some guy loaded up on all Ric Olie figures, claiming that they were rare and people would be searching all over for them. Needless to say he was a little off on his prediction, as in a week or so they were pretty much everywhere and stayed that way for about a year. Everytime me and Mac talk about toys, we always laugh at the Rick Olie guy. I wonder what he did with them all.

12:34 - Yes its Anakin! Oh Jake Lloyd you charm us so in this movie! Also we get to see Wattostein.....err Watto....the stein is just a little stereotyping. I mean not that Lucas does this throughout the movie....the asian trade federation, the african american gungans...you get the point

12:46 - "Mom you always say the biggest problem in the universe is that no one helps each other" - Thank you Anakin! That's the worst line in any movie...ever! True story!


1:01 - The pod race begins. I have always felt that this scene was unnecessarily long...with it being 1 in the morning I now KNOW this is unnecessarily long. Do we really need to see all 3 laps? Yes I get it George Lucas, you can do everything better graphically than any other director, but seriously 1 lap and then the finish would be fine. Why are you wasting my time!!!?!!

1:12 - One word....poodoo

1:19 - Finally get to the first real lightsaber duel. I could never figure out why Darth Maul fights with a cloak on in the desert? Seriously now, isn't he hot? He could have won that battle easily.

1:27 - Yoda makes an appearance. In the new movies this is my favorite Yoda because its the same puppet used in Episodes V and VI. CGI Yoda is cool, but doesn't feel the same.

1:41 - Here is something that has always bothered me about this movie...Boss Nass. Now I get that he is the leader of the Gungans, but my problem is that he doesn't look like all the other Gungans. How are him and Jar Jar of the same Gungan race? I would compare it to the apartheid in South Africa. You had people running the country who were the minority in regards to population. I think the same holds true in Naboo...or am I being to extreme? (Hey I made an awesome rhyme there!)

1:51 - Jar Jar just did his William Wallace impersonation "Steady....Steady"

1:53 - The doors open to reveal Darth Maul, this time he has learned and takes off his robe before the duel even begins. Yes Duel of the Fates has also began to play. Its cool with the symphony and all, but nothing compares to the Brad/Mac harmonic rendition. If you have never heard it, you are missing out and you should always request it, when in the company of both of us.

1:57 - Queen Amidala and her crew just pulled a Batman and shot a hook arrow to get them to the higher floor. I only mention it as a Batman move, cause that's how Peter described it and laughed at when I took him to see it in the theater.

2:00 - I am feeling tired, I think for Episode II I will work on folding clothes and cleaning my room to help stay awake. Perhaps I will use my 1 red bull as well.

2:01 - The trade federation isn't that smart if they left doors to fly in and attack from the inside wide open. Anakin isn't some genius by any stretch of the means, he saw an open door and glided in there....it's not rocket science here. Stupid fighter pilots.

2:02 - Qui Gon Jim just tasted hot lightsaber. Still don't know how a Jedi Master lost to a lowly apprentice. This isn't like any give Sunday, more powerful should mean better lightsaber skills. Have I mentioned how cool the "Force Push" move is? You don't even have to touch someone to push them away, totally awesome.

2:09 - After the battle, all the Jedi council comes to Naboo to congratulate the victors. If you look carefully though you will see that the Mace Windu member is not Samuel L. Jackson, but some other random guy. I guess he was busy that day or something. I know you are probably saying, but Brad it could be another random guy on the council. Wrong! I have seen the whole council, and Mace is the only black male, so I guess Lucas just through in some guy, thinking "hey the public is dumb, they won't notice." Guess what, I have no life and noticed

2:11 - I don't like how after Mace and Yoda discuss the apprentice/master they pan into Palpatine. That just makes it to obvious, give some sort of element of surprise here. We may all know, but don't just come out and say it.

2:12 - Yes the people and reptiles of Naboo share the big glowing ball thingy! All is right for now!



That wasn't nearly as bad as I figured it would be. I guess not having seen TPM for a couple of years helps as well. I guess its break time...Be back with Episode II: Attack of the Clones in a bit.

No comments: